BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday 10 September 2011

Georges St Pierre

Skill Breakdown

Charts are compiled based on results from all fights.
Total Fights: 25
Record: 22-2-0
Summary: Athleticism, very well rounded, discipline

Fighter Info

Nickname: Rush
From: Montreal, Quebec Canada
Age: 30
Height: 5' 11" ( 180 cm )
Weight: 170 lb ( 77 kg )








Biography 


 
TRAINING: I train six days a week – a different combination each day of two of the following:  wrestling, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ), boxing, Muay Thai, Strength & Conditioning/Running, and MMA sparring.

When and why did you start training for fighting? I started martial arts when I was six, doing Kyokushin karate.  When I started training for MMA, I started wrestling with the national team and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu with Nova Uniao. I now train in wrestling, BJJ, Muay Thai, and boxing.  When I first met Stephane Patry and his team I decided I wanted to become a champion in this sport.

What ranks and titles have you held? Two-time and current UFC Welterweight Champion, former TKO Canadian welterweight champion. Brazilian Jim-Jitsu Black belt under Bruno Fernande.

Do you have any heroes? My MMA hero is Randy Couture.

What is your favorite technique? I love taking my opponent down. Once I have him on the ground I am dangerous with ground and pound and submissions.

What does it mean for you to fight in the UFC? Fighting in the UFC has been a dream come true for me - even now I'm still amazed!  The UFC has allowed me to develop and mature as a fighter and I have so many opportunities that I never would have had otherwise because I’m a UFC fighter! 

Did you go to college and if so what degree did you earn? I was going to get a degree in administration but I put that on hold to concentrate on my fighting career.

What was your job before you started fighting? Before I started fighting I was a student, but now I’m fortunate enough to train full-time.

•    One of the most popular Canadian athletes ever, according to various magazine and online fan polls

•    Happens to be a paleontology buff, very passionate about dinosaurs

•    Winner of 10 straight, has gone unbeaten for the past four years

•    Arrives at all press conferences sharply dressed in an expensive suit and tie; also routinely dons a suit and tie when arriving at the arena on fight night. Widely respected for not only being an elite fighter but also a class act.

•    He is, for some reason, a particular favorite of female fight fans. Some have theorized it that appeals stems from a combination of his French accent, chiseled frame, ballet-like athletic movements and good looks.

•    His stellar resume includes wins over former UFC champions Matt Hughes (twice) and B.J. Penn (twice), and over Jon Fitch, Thiago Alves and Josh Koscheck (twice) and halted Jake Shields’ 15-fight win streak.

•    Regularly trains with the Canadian National Wrestling Team and is regarded as one of MMA’s best wrestlers (which is extraordinary given that he started wrestling in adulthood and not during his youth).

•    Holds a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and Karate and Greg Jackson’s “Gaidojutsu”

•    Speaks English and French

•    Subject of an MMA documentary titled “The Striking Truth”




0 comments: